Convergence FIG '07

Welcome to the Journalism Blog of the first ever Convergence FIG (Freshmen Interest Group) at the University of Missouri- Columbia. All stories and posts are those of the nineteen students who are a part of the Convergence FIG. Enjoy!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Online Predators: Only a parent’s concern?


My article doesn’t a horrible job of showing any diversity. But it is hard to show diversity in the small town of Columbia, IL (or even in Monroe County for that matter). There isn’t much diversity in small farm towns no more than 20 miles apart from each other. But in any case, the other ways to show diversity, after what I saw in this article, is if you are a parent or not. This article is mainly pointed towards parents. I believe it was mainly written to inform, even scare, parents about “online predators.” The article comes up with many statistics about the subject, which I am sure are true, but again I believe they are only stated to get the parents more concerned about their child’s safety. An older person without children might have a hard time relating to this subject. And the children who read the article will just begin to think, “Oh, it will never happen to me.”

So I see this article more for the parents of my county rather than for everyone.

Article:
http://monroecountyclarion.stltoday.com/articles/2007/11/13/news/sj2tn20071027-1028cla_3judgement.ii1.txt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home