Convergence FIG '07

Welcome to the Journalism Blog of the first ever Convergence FIG (Freshmen Interest Group) at the University of Missouri- Columbia. All stories and posts are those of the nineteen students who are a part of the Convergence FIG. Enjoy!

Monday, November 12, 2007

Jesus Would've Made a Great Third Baseman


Some baseball experts believe that they key to a wining team is good pitching. The old school analysts believe that it is working on the fundamentals, timely hitting, and the right combination of spit and pine tar on the bat. And others, like Colorado Rockies General Manager Dan O’Dowd, believe that all you need is…well… to believe?
Yes, you read right. Mr. O’Dowd believes that the true key to his team winning an unprecedented 21 of 22 games to land them in the post-season and eventually the World Series was not an MVP candidate, the best fielding shortstop of all time, or all that is Kaz Matsui, but it was none other than God. That’s right. The creator of the world, water, and the iPod, God himself, had a hand in the Colorado Rockies success according to Mr. O’Dowd. Forget about Helton, Holliday, and Hawpe. Just go with Him.
Now, I saw Disney’s Angels in the Outfield (1994) where a group of angels aid the success of a losing Anaheim Angels team to lead them to the World Series. I was five at the time, and I remember thinking to myself “Man, that was a great movie. But I’m sure God has more to worry about than a baseball team like the homeless, the starving, and the spread of Communism.” I’m not anti-Christian and I am not here to give my religious beliefs, but there is a time and a place for everything, and O’Dowd picked neither well. What he chooses to believe was the cause of his team’s success is his own belief, which you are allowed to have. However, he is not only representing himself when he speaks publicly, but he is also representing the Colorado Rockies organization as well. And when you are put in that capacity, you have the obligation to be a somewhat neutral on non-baseball issues. (Personally, I don’t see how the Angel’s were that bad in the first place with Danny Glover managing, Matthew McConaughey playing left, and Tony Danza on the mound. It was probably all the blown saves by Adrian Brody. Yea, it had to be)
I mean, how am I supposed to feel if I am a fan of the Rockies, but I am Jewish, Muslim, or Atheist? Does this mean that I can’t root on my team?
Or what if I am Christian, but I don’t think God and sports have any correlation? Does this mean that I don’t have the “correct” version of God in my head?
While I think this article does a good job of presenting the facts and what happened, there is no outside perspective as if to say whether or not this was the right venue for O’Dowd to speak his mind. It is almost as if The Denver Post believes that all their readers are of the same faith and has no consideration for the minority.
While I feel that faith is a wonderful aspect to have in one’s life, there is no room for this in sports. I am not saying that O’Dowd has no right to turn to the Almighty over his All-Stars, but saying it publicly was a wrong move on his part. There needs to be a separation of Church and Sports here. What the players feel contributes to their success besides talent, conditioning, and execution is their own business and I feel it should stay that way. There is a way for people to honor their beliefs, but it is not at the expense of the comfort of their teammates, opponents, or fans alike.

And finally, if this team was indeed helped by God, then why did they get swept in the World Series? I’m not denying the existence of a God, but wouldn’t you think he would hook them up with a few homers or a rain delay or Manny Ramirez getting the flu? I’m just saying…

Here’s the article link: http://www.denverpost.com/lifestyles/ci_7398765

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home