Convergence FIG '07

Welcome to the Journalism Blog of the first ever Convergence FIG (Freshmen Interest Group) at the University of Missouri- Columbia. All stories and posts are those of the nineteen students who are a part of the Convergence FIG. Enjoy!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

ITS JUST A GREETING




The article that I read and evaluated came from stltoday.com , which is the website for the St. Louis Post Dispatch. The name of the article is "I'll bump your fist first, but let's stay out of the cave", written by Sylvester Brown Jr. The name of the article is what first caught my attention, and as I continued to read the article I kind of thought that it was geared toward a younger audience, event though the author is middle-aged. There was some slang used, and it just seemed like it was very easy for me to read through the article. Teh story was about different greetings. The author raised the question, "Why is it when men aquaintances meet they stick out their fist and look for a pound??? He wants to know what happened to the more embracing greetings amongst friends. You do the usual handshake greeting with a boss or someone you are just meeting, but besides that there are no embracing greetings. I think that the Post-Dispatch is trying to show diversity in most of their articles, and this is one of them. To begin with the author of this article is an African-American and the style of writing that he chose to use as stated before seemed as if it were targeted to a younger audience. I think this shows that the Post-Dispatch is showing diversity but my issue wasnt with that, it was with the story in general. I think that its making a big deal out of nothing. So, overall I think the paper showed diversity, maybe it was trying a little to hard with the word choices, but I just think the story was too over thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home