Convergence FIG '07

Welcome to the Journalism Blog of the first ever Convergence FIG (Freshmen Interest Group) at the University of Missouri- Columbia. All stories and posts are those of the nineteen students who are a part of the Convergence FIG. Enjoy!

Monday, October 8, 2007

Hello, my name is Jim, and I am a pastaholic…


It takes a lot of courage to admit that you have a problem. Whether it is chocolate, The Office, or talking on your cell phone, everyone has something in this world they cannot live without. As for me, I’m all about the pasta, baby. And there is one place, and one place only that I get my fix: Bambino’s Italian Café
Located at the intersection of Hitt and Locust, this mecca of Italian cuisine is the only place in Columbia that I have found you can get a good plate of pasta. (The only exception would be Macaroni Grille, but everyone knows that place is for sellouts. However, I do like drawing on the tables.) I had the opportunity to dine at this fine establishment this weekend and, yet again, they didn’t disappoint me.
If you are ever fortunate enough to make you way to Bambino’s, I highly recommend the “Starvin’ Marvin” technique of not eating for several days prior to your visit, as to be able to fully enjoy all that Bambino’s has to offer. After getting yourself situated inside the bar area, or in the outside patio covered by the yellow striped “can’t miss it” tent, I would recommend ordering the very tasty, yet also scalding hot toasted ravioli. If you have never experienced the “T-Rav’s” at Bambino’s or elsewhere around the state of Missouri, I feel as though you are missing out on a significant milestone in your life, right up there with getting you driver’s license or your first imaginary friend. However, if you somehow had a scarring childhood event featuring Chef-Boyardee, the garlic bread is also really good.
Now, when someone tells you about a new restaurant, and they say, “Everything is good,” I find that extremely annoying because it is all too vague, and rarely true. (And sometimes “everything” sucks as well) However, there is no misfire at Bambino’s with their wide variety of House Pastas, Salads, Pizzas and Sandwiches. All of these choices are good, except that I’m an individual and I like my pasta a very certain way. So, I go with the Create Your Own Pasta feature that allows you to….well, I think you can fill in the rest. This option is good for two types of people:

1) People who are picky eaters and
2) People who don’t let THE MAN bring them down.

I personally get the Linguini with the Sugo di Carne Sauce, but the meatballs are
also something to write home about.
After you have consumed your main course of your choice and loosened you belt
a little, you may be feeling pains in your stomach or coronary artery. It is imperative that you ignore these warning signs and go for the jugular (literally). Since Bambino’s is all about the pasta, the dessert menu is light in text, but heavy in all other areas. You can either get Chocolate, Caramel, or Strawberry Cheesecake, or Spumoni ice cream for dessert. I personally recommend the Chocolate, but it’s totally up to you.
Bambino’s has a very warm atmosphere that makes you feel extremely comfortable, with a very polite and expedient waiting staff and it is a great place to watch a game. It isn’t too expensive, and pretty easy to get a table since it is a little off Broadway. I also loved this place because YOU GET A FREE CUP! Who doesn’t like free stuff? Anyways, Bambino’s is a place I would recommend to friends, family and pasta-holics alike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home