Convergence FIG '07

Welcome to the Journalism Blog of the first ever Convergence FIG (Freshmen Interest Group) at the University of Missouri- Columbia. All stories and posts are those of the nineteen students who are a part of the Convergence FIG. Enjoy!

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Oh Elton!


Shiny metallic shirts and giant glasses were abundant in the crowd of Elton John fans. I found myself lost in a herd of middle-aged couples. It wasn’t until I found my nosebleed seats that I found a refreshing group of college aged individuals. The concert kicked off at 8:05pm with the legend taking the stage in his classic attire of an embroidered jacket and glasses. Taking his rightful place at the grand piano, Elton began the night with a newer song, but it wasn’t until “Butterfly” and “Tiny Dancer” that the crowd got really engaged. There wasn’t much sitting going on, even the ‘ol folk got up to jam to Elton’s tunes. Elton played the classics like “Rocket man” and “Saturday’s alright for Fighting. ” Lighters and cell phones illuminated the darkened audience during “Candle in the Wind.” It seemed just about everyone was singing along and the arena came alive with its bursts of bright rainbow colors flashing over the stage and the audience. Not wanting to be stuck in the highest section of the stadium, I ventured down toward Elton only to get kicked out of multiple sections for “standing there” too long. The echoing of the band seemed to lessen once I walked down a few sections toward the stage. (I recommend getting better seats) Having played for three beautiful hours, Elton John took a bow and escaped off stage to a roaring thunder of applause only to come back to play an encore. The front row was lucky enough to score a few autographs before his final song, and Elton John finished the night with “Your Song.” At approximately 11:45pm, Elton took his final bow, and I said my last goodbyes to the man of the evening. Although the seats where in the next galaxy, the music couldn’t have resonated off the walls even louder, I left not only songs in my head, but a memory that will last forever and forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home