Convergence FIG '07

Welcome to the Journalism Blog of the first ever Convergence FIG (Freshmen Interest Group) at the University of Missouri- Columbia. All stories and posts are those of the nineteen students who are a part of the Convergence FIG. Enjoy!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Best of times"

All right, so I have never posted a blog in my life so I am so sorry if this doesn’t really turn out the right way. And I’ve also never written anything close to what was assigned. I’m probably a loner on that one. But here goes…

I was told to pick some movie or band that is my favorite and write about it by someone helping me here. That was probably the hardest part. I don’t like just one thing. But I figured going for the one CD that I listened to the entire summer after my freshman year in high school. Yes that is 3 months straight of listening to one CD. Of course I rarely listen to it now, but when I hear the songs, I still know every single lyric of every single song. I can even start singing the next song on the CD before it even plays. Yes I know I’m weird. Deal with it. The CD was titled “The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most” by Dashboard Confessional.

Way back in the day of my “stupid freshman” year, this CD was suggested to me from my best friend who is a huge alternative rock fan. That’s just about all she’ll listen to. But way back freshman year in high school, I seemed to relate to every single lyrical verse in every song. I guess you could say I was having a hard time transitioning from grade school to high school. Boys, sports, parents rules, friends, enemies, etc. all seemed to contribute to what was supposed to be the best times of my life. Well if you have ever heard the songs from this CD you will know what I mean when I say, those “best” times weren’t the best. They were probably the worst.

When my friend introduced me to this CD, and band, I fell absolutely head over heals with the music. I liked it so much that for the next Christmas I asked for a guitar from Santa, and actually got one, even though I can’t play a lick of a tune. I tried, but it just never came out right. But the instrumental in this CD was phenomenal. It wasn’t just the same old two notes over and over again like more in rap/hip-hop music. There was an actual song attached to the lyrics. It was refreshing and amazed me.

After I got hooked on the music, I started learning the lyrics without even realizing that I was learning them. So of course I didn’t know exactly what they meant, so after a while I began to actually just listen to what the lyrics meant and that opened up a whole new window for me and got me hooked for 3 months straight. I wouldn’t listen or sing any other song the whole entire summer.

The lyrics seemed to reach out to me in those “best of times” and just tell me that “hey, other people go through the same stuff, you’ll be ok.” So I cried through these songs, I laughed through these songs, and I just plain rocked out to these songs.

This CD was very revitalizing for me and helped me cope with my “best of times” and I just think that every now and then, a little crying during a song that means something to you, with a little slow soft music, is great to making you realize that everyone goes through similar things. And you can move on and be ok.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home