Convergence FIG '07

Welcome to the Journalism Blog of the first ever Convergence FIG (Freshmen Interest Group) at the University of Missouri- Columbia. All stories and posts are those of the nineteen students who are a part of the Convergence FIG. Enjoy!

Monday, September 10, 2007

John Henry & the Engine and Anchondo Create Rock Anyone Can Dance To

I have to agree with Jim, those who went to the football game this weekend rather than staying in Columbia really missed out, not only on the Roots, Blues, and BBQ festival, (which was amazing, I was in that line for the Jamaican jerk chicken…for an hour) but also because they missed the best show I have ever been to in my life (and I like to think of myself as a seasoned show veteran.) That show was at The Blue Fugue and featured two of my new favorite bands, Anchondo and John Henry & the Engine.

The first time I heard Anchondo was about two years ago. I had left the club already, but their latin beats drew me back inside. They were the name on everyone’s lips for months afterward, which doesn’t often happen with smaller bands. So when I heard they would be playing a show in Columbia, I had to go. Not only was the music amazing, the guys in the band put on a great live show. All of them jumped around, interacted with the crowd and were generally fun to watch. This is one of those bands that you simply must see live, preferably at a venue with a lot of their fans present, which, apparently, is most of the shows they play (because how can you not like these guys?) A favorite is “The Lesbian Song” which old and new fans alike can sing along to (the lyrics may be considered vulgar to some, though, so be forwarned.) Even better, their music is easily accessible, with a way to buy songs off their Myspace (myspace.com/anchondo) or on VCast, and although nothing is as good as a live show, their recordings come close.

I had heard that John Henry & the Engine was a really great band, but I hadn’t prepared myself for just how great. Their brand of infectious, retro rock & roll is impossible not to dance to, although apparently those seated next to me did not feel the same way. I usually don’t like this type of music, but at their live show I felt like I should be wearing bobby socks and a poodle skirt. Not only is JH&TE a great band to see, the lead singer plays a harmonica! And there’s keyboard! These things always make for a great band. After the show I went home to add them on Myspace (yes, I am that cool) and realized their recordings really don’t live up to the energy of their live show, so I think it should be required that you see them live before passing judgment.

Fortunately for those of you who missed the amazing eargasms that are John Henry & the Engine and Anchondo, the two bands play in Columbia often enough that you will probably be able to catch them again very very soon. I hope to see you there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home